Monday, March 13, 2006

Plum blossom - not to be confused with cherry blossom


Just a quick blog to say hello. We had some friends for supper last night so we are feeling a little tired today and a little fat due to the huge chocolate fondue that we made (it was sooo good though and I will have to work very hard at the gym tomorrow). This morning I had to get up bright and early, abandon the mammoth amount of dishes to be done and head off to Ikebana, it was a lovely afternoon so afterwards I visited Shukkeien garden to see the plum blossom in full bloom. The garden is really lovely and such a peaceful oasis that you would never believe you were in the middle of the city.



Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries so I didn't get a chance to take many pictures except for one of my coffee. Even though it came from a vending machine they still put it in a little cup and pretty tray!



I went to the pretty little town of Takehara on Friday and picked up some cute things for the house. The first shop we went into was an antiques shop but in reality it was the tatami room of someone's house, which made it all the more interesting. I don't think the woman had ever seen so many people in her shop at once - there were nine of us rifling through all these wonderful teapots, kimonos, prints and pottery. I managed to pick up a wonderful Obi for about 20 pounds, Obi are the sashes tied around kimonos and they make wonderful wall hangings, the colour and detail are amazing.




Then we went to a Sake brewery, where we tried not to get too drunk on the very strong sake samples. There was a fantastic gift shop attached and I bought a little salad server with tongs and a bamboo bento box.





That's about it for now. It is White Day tomorrow which means that the men buy their women biscuits or cookies (on Valentines Day the women buy the men chocolates). However, Martin knows me better so he bought me chocolates and true to form, I have already started to eat them.



Ps. With all this talk of chocolate and fondue, you probably think I have turned into a big, puffy heffaflump. Fortunately, this is not the case and I have been working up quite a sweat at the gym three times a week.

3 comments:

Martin and Therese said...

Just to let you know that it's really easy to leave a comment now, anyone can do it and you don't even have to log in!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Even I can master this now I don't have to remember another blasted user name and password!
Sounds like you guys are having a great adventure out there - I do love the sound of your gym Therese, I can't believe they even supply trainers! Martin, do they have your size or are you like a giant out there?! Anyway just a quick hello as haven't spoken in ages - will be thinking of you both this weekend during Steve and Louisa's stag/hen do's - shame you won't be there. Looking forward to seeing you at the wedding though - let me know if you think of any embarassing sotries for the speech!

Anonymous said...

p.s last comment was from Stuart (still can't quite get the hang of this blog thing...)