Saturday, September 09, 2006

Golf in Japan

It's Martin here this time, to tell you about my first golfing adventure in Japan. Needless to say after over a year off the course, I hadn't improved, but I was nowhere near as bad as I thought I might be. In fact, I even managed a par on a par 5, and won closest to the pin on one of the par 3's. Of course, I still managed to lose a few balls, and duff a fair share but it could have been worse. The greens were really, really fast - well at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

First of all apologies for no pictures, i forgot to take the camera. The golfing experience is all a bit more upmarket than my usual pay & play experiences back home. For a start, when you pull up, a team of helpers unload all the gear from the back of the car, and make sure it is all safely transferred round the back and strapped in to your pre-allocated buggy. Next you go in and check-in, almost a bit like a hotel. You get a numbered wallet with your card, which you use like a hotel key in the clubhouse and around the course for drinks, lunch, the driving range etc

A quick change in the very plush changing room (no changing in the car park here!) and out to meet your buggy. The big thing about these, is that they are automatic and remote control! Press the button and the buggy sets off up the fareway a preset amount, or until you tell it to stop! Buggies are mandatory, as it keeps everyone moving, but even if the weren't with the heat & humidity, they are essential. To keep you hydrated there are little drinks kiosks after the 4th & 13th holes, where everyone stops for a swift beer.

Needless to say the course was immaculately prepared, and the setting was beautiful. It was nestled in the moutains and seemed to have been carved out of a natural forest, absolutely stunning - I promise photos next time.

After the first 9 holes, it was a lunch (a tasty noodle dish) and of course you weren't going to lose your place as you had an allocated tee time for the back nine.

Once the wagers had all been settled in the 19th, it was time for an Onsen to refresh and soothe muscles. All in all, a very pleasant experience - with a price tag, but it was worth it.

Sorry to have bored any golf widows out there, I'm sure Therese will be back with another post about cafes, onsens and muffins soon.

No comments: