Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Extreme weather.


This has not been the best of weeks, our house sale fell through for the third time this year, I contracted poison ivy and we had an earthquake this morning. Nevertheless, life goes on and as I always say "everything happens for a reason". I have to admit though, I can not think of not one good reason why anybody would get poison ivy. Both my right and left legs look like they are going to fall off just above the ankle...Nice.

Well the typhoon passed us by, not much happened and Martin had to go to work. Despite the lack of extreme wind we did get woken up by an earthquake this morning . I awoke just after 7am to what sounded like a giant stamping his foot on our ceiling - last time this happened I thought it was our incredibily noisy neighbours but they have since moved out so I knew right away it was an earthquake. Anyway, Martin and I dashed under the dining room table for the last of the shakes and swaying. It was pretty quick and nowhere near as violent as the one in June but pretty scary all the same. I guess it's because when they start you never know if it's going to be a big one or not. When it happened in June, I woke up to an almighty roar, which was probably the concrete in the building, looked up towards my neighbours and said "what the hell are they up to now?" In reality, my choice of vocabulary wasn't quite so pleasent. When the room started to shake violently I realised pretty quick that it wasn't the neighbours and a very scantily clad Martin and Therese ran for underneath the dining room table. Despite the fact the building was swaying sideways, up and down Martin and I spent the whole time laughing very heartily that I had mistaken a 6.3 earthquake for our neighbours and were still laughing when the whole thing was over. It's always good to see a bit of humour in the midst of disaster, I think it must be a Northern Irish thing.

Anyway, it's all calm on the weather front and as you can see from the picture above it's a glorious Autumn afternoon in Hiroshima.

No comments: