Sunday, October 01, 2006

Love is in the air


I can't believe it's two years since Martin and I stepped down the aisle. It's gone so quickly and little did we know that within a year we would have moved continents. The biggest plan we had that year was to redo the kitchen and the bathroom - only the kitchen got done. Life's funny that way.

Despite the fact that I was a whole 45 minutes late it really was the best day of our lives. I know it's acceptable for a bride to be a little late but I think 45 minutes was taking the biscuit. Poor Martin, he thought I had jilted him. I blame it all on the hairdresser and the contact lenses.

The cermony was set for 12:30 so I booked the hairdressers for 8:30 thinking that this would give us plenty of time. So chief bridesmaid and I trotted off to the hairdressers at 8:30 only to find it all locked up and not a soul about. We stood outside the salon in the freezing Northern Irish weather for a whole 30 minutes only for Mrs Hairdresser to amble in at 9am and not even apologise for being late. Then she had the cheek to say it would take a "good while for the water to heat up". So she starts to do my hair and then the regulars start coming in looking for their cuts and blow drys. She continually abandons me to attend to other customers and at one point I saw the assistants in the backroom trying on my tiara - didn't they think I'd see them in the mirror?! By 10:30 I'm finished and take a seat to wait for chief bridesmaid. I'm sitting there all dolled up with a tiara in my head and this women walks in, sits down next to me and asks "are you getting married today?" and then she lights up a cigarette. Unbelievable. I asked her to move.

We sped on to the makeup artists where there were no major hickups and made it home for 11:50, ok we were cutting it fine but there was still time.

I had only recently started to wear contact lenses and was no good at putting them in yet, especially in a hurry. Big sister's friend and fellow contact lenses wearer was called to the rescue and helped me put them in. This was not a good idea. Aware that I was becoming very late my eyes would not stay open and the things would not go in. No one would tell me the time and because I hadn't my glasses on I couldn't see the clock. It was getting very late and we finally got them in at about 12.25.

It was finally time to get dressed, I must have been the quickest bride ever dressed. I was done in 2 seconds flat. The bridesmaids were packed off to the chapel which took an awfully long time, it turns out the driver went in the completely wrong direction and the sisters didn't even notice! The driver claims he didn't want to get the car dirty on the country roads.

Anyway, I eventually made it down the aisle at quarter passed one and saw a very relieved and pale looking Martin standing at the top of the altar.


I was watching the wedding DVD a while back and as my father and I got out of the car a guest said to my Father "your a wee bit late James Anthony". My father replied "I thought it was next Saturday". Always good to make light of these situations I think!

Thank you Martin for a wonderful two years, you always make me very happy, even through poison ivy, earthquakes and failing house sales.


There is more love in the air for our lovely friends Anne and Paul (pictured below) who got engaged in Hungary last week. We are really happy for you both and can't wait for the wedding. We thoroughly recommend that you book a punctual hairdresser!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and many more happy years (with fewer earthquakes)!

Anonymous said...

Little sis' and Bravenger, as chief bridesmaid on the big day, I remember only too clearly the early morning hiccups. The late Mrs. Hairdresser, the smoke filled salon, the assistants eating sausage rolls and trying on your tiara (at the same time!!). And of course, none of us will forget the contact lenses episode in the back kitchen! However, it all turned out just fine. It was a brilliant day enjoyed by all. Happy anniversary! Love Sheena and Rob.

P.S. Dympna was to blame for the wedding car delay!!!

P.P.S. I was a really good bridesmaid.

Anonymous said...

Dear Margo and Bravinger, congratulations on your second wedding anniversary. I read your blog and was awash with sentiment and emotion. Yes it was a wonderful day and a very happy time. May you enjoy many more wonderful years together.
Love Big Sis xxx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You were a beautiful bride and I am sure you were worth the wait - Isn't it funny how the little things that "go wrong" on the wedding day - form part of the memory the whole day and make it what it is....