Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The green bullet bites the dust


Unfortunately, my beloved green bullet is no longer. It was stolen from outside the apartment last Wednesday afternoon and hasn't been seen since. Although it was unlocked, Martin's bike was also unlocked beside mine and they didn't take it. Why they preferred my Miss Marple-esque, gearless bicycle complete with wicker basket over Martin's super dooper "Trek" machine I don't understand, maybe it was the pure comedy value. Big sister suggested that it was probably because there was a good book, a traybake and a hot cup of tea in a china cup in the basket but this was not the case.

Anyway, I tootled off to the police station on Friday to lodge a report and what an experience that was. They even asked me who took it, well if I'd known that I wouldn't have been there in the first place. After explaining that I didn't know the cretan who took it I was asked to draw a detailed map of the crime scene and label everything in Kanji (one of the THREE Japanese alphabets). My ability to write in Kanji is hardly wonderful and every time I made a mistake I was finger printed and asked to place the finger print on the mistake. By the end of the exercise it looked less like a map and more of a collage of my finger prints.

On Saturday, I went bicycle shopping and assured Martin I would buy a bike with gears this time as he had instructed.

Meet Wendy.


Wendy has no gears but she's kind of funky in a retro 1980's kind of way. I would have loved a red "Chopper" (they're all the rage here) just like the one Kevin had in The Wonder Years but there were none to be found. Below is a picture of Kevin and Winnie with the red "Chopper". Martin reckons my Wendy is nowhere near as cool as Kevin's bike.


Must go now, but if you see the green bullet around Hiroshima please ambush the bicycle and the thief, it's still a much nicer bicycle than Wendy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the green bullet, but Wendy is very cool. Happy cycling!

Anonymous said...

Nice bike Bean; very cute. Does it have Sat Nav? How big is that basket? And how fast can Wendy go?

Rob suggests installing a motor in the middle. Perhaps Martin can pass the idea off on Ford....the Barnault Bullet!

Martin and Therese said...

Hello big bean,
Wendy is much lighter than the green bullet so you'd be surprised how nippy I can be - faster than Daddy in his car anyway. The basket is big enough to hold a few groceries and a handbag but that's it. I thought you would appreciate The Wonder Years picture.

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,

Are you getting my emails? Just making sure you haven't changed your hotmail address or anything.

Loving the bike.

Martin and Therese said...

Hi Claire
Got your email and it was lovely to hear from you. really busy at the moment as we have guests but I promise to write soon.
Love T,xx

Anonymous said...

Therese, you are so funny, I love reading your blog. Sorry about your bike ;-(
Take a look at my blog to see Valerie dressed as a chicken for Halloween!